The deal which averted strikes by thousands of workers at six airports includes a 2 per cent pay rise and a lump sum of £500, according to the union Unite.
Unite said the offer by BAA was double the original deal proposed by the airport operator, which was rejected last week, raising the threat of travel chaos for hundreds of thousands of holidaymakers.
Firefighters, security staff and other workers at Heathrow, Stansted, Southampton, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen airports will now be urged to accept the new deal in a ballot over the next three weeks.
Unite said the new offer, tabled by BAA during lengthy talks at the conciliation service Acas on Monday, would now set the standard for pay deals in the industry.
The offer includes a 2 per cent increase on basic pay and allowances from January 2010, arrangements for payment of shift pay during periods of sickness to remain unchanged, and a lump sum of £500, with £200 paid next month and the remainder next March.
Unite said the lump sum could reach £900 if performance targets are met
National officers Brian Boyd and Brendan Gold said: “This offer is double what BAA had originally offered with no strings attached. Plus it comes with a guaranteed lump sum of £500. The negotiations were tough but Unite has delivered a fair offer for BAA staff.
“The game is up for employers in the aviation industry. With the recession receding in the industry, Unite now expects BAA’s pay offer to set the standard.”
Wheel clampers are to be banned from operating on private land, the Government is set to announce.
More than 2,000 existing clamping licences will be revoked under the plans for England and Wales, with towing away also outlawed, as ministers act to end the “scourge” of so-called cowboy clampers.
Motoring organisations are hailing the “momentous” move, which will be introduced in the Government’s Freedom Bill in November and could be in place by early next year.
The ban comes two decades after the practice was outlawed in Scotland, with only unlicensed vehicles able to be clamped in Northern Ireland.
Once in force, anyone who clamps a vehicle or tows it away on private land will face big fines or even jail.
Only police or councils will be allowed to immobilise or remove a car in exceptional circumstances, such as a car blocking a road.
Tulisa Contostavlos is the latest member of rap trio N-Dubz to cause chaos for the band’s management, after she allegedly trashed her hotel room while on tour in the US.
The only female member of the Number 1 hitmakers is currently on the road trying to crack America with her bandmate Dappy, but things turned wild when she got too drunk on a night out in Miami, Florida.
According to The Sun newspaper, the 22 year old was asked to leave a luxury hotel after ruining her suite.
A source tells the publication, “Tulisa has been going for it, she’s out of control. It started in Miami, then Hollywood – she has been out constantly.
“She had just a little too much to drink one night and trashed the hotel room. She did regret it the next day, especially when staff told her to check out. The band’s management have had to step in again and tell her to settle down.”
It’s not the first time the band has landed in hot water because of the antics – rapper Dappy was caught on camera taking controversial drug mephedrone in March and was kicked out of a theme park for allegedly smoking cannabis in the venue’s hotel a month later. Fellow rapper Fazer wasn’t allowed to travel to the US after custom officials reportedly refused to grant him a visa.
A shopper was arrested and banned from every Sainsbury’s store in the UK after being suspected of fraud for using someone else’s Nectar card.
Christine Turton, of Crosby, Merseyside, had allegedly been taking the points off an elderly woman’s Nectar card to buy her own shopping at Sainsburys.
But the woman claims she was given the discount card by a cashier at a Sainsbury’s store on a previous shopping spree.
Suspicions first flared when a 73-year-old man complained about his wife’s Nectar card going missing with several hundreds of pounds worth of points on it. It is reported to have been used several times.
After the man informed the Sainsbury’s store, Mrs Turton was then tracked down by the manager.
Merseyside Police arrested her on suspicion of fraud by false representation but has since been released without charge.
However, the 48-year-old mum of two still remains banned from the supermarket chain.
According to the BBC, Mrs Turton said: “I don’t see what I have done wrong other than being stupid and not checking a card which not many people do.
“This is humiliating and degrading. I am just absolutely gobsmacked.”
A spokeswoman for Sainsbury’s said: “We want to serve our customers, so we never take this kind of action lightly or without investigation.
“Mrs Turton can appeal the ban but at this stage we stand by our decision.”
A girl whose apparently lifeless body was spotted on Google’s Street View service had simply fallen over while playing near her home, it has emerged.
The bizarre image, thought to be that of 10-year-old Azura Beebeejaun, had prompted concern for the welfare of the person seen lying sprawled across the pavement in Middle Road, Worcester.
Believed to have been captured by Google’s cameras last summer, the picture went live on the internet in March.
Some readers contacted the Worcester News to express concern about the supposed “corpse”, but inquiries by the newspaper established the girl concerned was alive and well.
A spokeswoman for Google said anyone who was unhappy with an image shown on Street View could ask for it to be removed or blurred.
The spokeswoman said: “The imagery in Street View represents a snapshot in time of Britain’s streets and is no different to what anyone might expect to see for themselves around the country.
“Sometimes that means our cars inadvertently capture odd or inappropriate moments as they drive past.”